Tuesday, May 6, 2008

a play and Harrods


Tuesdays are free days without any classes, so myself and a few others decided to try another slice of West End culture with Agatha Christie's play "The Mousetrap" now in its 56th year. It is a staple of the theater scene and a must-see for anyone in London. For those not familiar with the story, it is a murder mystery set in a country guest house during an English blizzard. It has a bizarre ending that the audience is asked not to reveal to not spoil it for anyone else. The play was everything you would expect an Agatha Christie story to be; full of suspense and a twist ending. As someone who was once fascinated with plays, I had to wonder during the show how the actors could do it at every performance; say the same lines, and perform the same recycled characters over and over again? It seems awfully boring to me. Honestly, the performance seemed a little rushed and predictable, almost as if the actors had to get it over with to move on with their lives afterward. That reminds me of what the Professional Basketball player Travis Hansen once told me. I asked him one night in Vitoria, Spain if he loved playing Basketball for a living, to which he responded that it was a job like any other and had lost its fun. I guess we are programmed to hate what we do if it does not offer opportunities to improve or try new things.
After the play and dinner, we stopped into the world famous Harrod's Department Store for some light browsing and mingling amongst the uber-rich. The store is massive, with five floors dedicated to luxury shopping. While there I bought two books; Ian McEwan's Saturday and a guidebook to Italy. Tomorrow we wake up early for a trip to the English countryside to Canterbury, the town of Rye and Beachyhead.

4 comments:

Camille said...

Lucky, got to go to a play, you know you have to tell me the ending now just cuz i don't think I will be seeing that play soon. Did you like Wicked better? I know one is a musical and the other a play. Do you see any traces from America there? Have fun at Canterbury, I guess you are there right now. Mom is in NC and Dad will go friday. Catch you lates bro.

Julie said...

hey carlos!!! i had no idea you were in london! that is so awesome :) yay for blogging! i'll be sure and try to keep up with you better!

Julie said...

btw - 'tis me, julie mccullough :)

Camille said...

Dad says hi, and he reads your blog everyday. We get bummed when you don't have something new, even though it is 3 in the morning over there!