Friday, May 30, 2008

dublin

Saturday afternoon and I'm sitting at an internet cafe on O'Connell Street in Dublin. We got here last night and didn't make to our hostel until about midnight. All day we've been exploring the city. I'm getting used to the whole hostel experience, its pretty much what I expected; young backpackers making their way across Europe. The hostel we're at now is close to the center of the city and used to be the recording studio for U2, Van Morrison and The Cranberries (thats right Camille) and there are tons of musical memoribilia on the walls. It has a real funky atmosphere. My first impressions of Dublin are pretty good. It has alot of character. I feel as if the people are tougher than other cities I've been so far. They look like they mean business even when they are just walking down the street. The accent is more comfortable and easier to understand than the Scottish or even the English is. The city itself is much smaller than London, which means everything to see is in the center and easily accesible. Just like you would expect, there are quite a few references to Guiness and the Luck of the Irish. The people are friendly and helpful, more so than they are in London.
Part of our self-guided tour took us to Trinity College, which is the most important school in Ireland. I have a friend from middle school named Claire who I knew was living in Dublin so I contacted her awhile back and let her know I was coming. I wasn't planning on seeing her until tomorrow, but while we were contemplating a cricket game at Trinity College I noticed a girl that looked like her walk by. I called out and she flipped when she saw me. We had a good chat and we'll probably meet up tomorrow for some lunch before I fly out. I guess all of that living abroad has really paid off. All in all, I love Dublin.

2 comments:

sash said...

Wow you recognize someone from middle school and picked her out of a crowd--Did she think you have changed alot--Dublin sounds like a fun place to go--have fun

Camille said...

Sounds like a great time, that is awesome you saw a friend! I want you to come back nailing all the European accents! It was fun talking to you the other day.