Thursday, May 15, 2008

kilts and more

Well I made it to Edinburgh yesterday around mid-day. Unfortunately I can't post any pictures yet but I've taken plenty so far. It seems kind of odd that I'm sitting in the middle of the old-city of Edinburgh with Haggis in my belly and the blair of bagpipes still fresh in my ears. I've spent the past day and a half walking through the old streets with my buddies and touring some of the more historic sites. The city is built on the "spine" of an ancient volcanic moutain. The old city was only less than a mile wide and a few miles long, so it ran the entire length of the slope of the ridge to the bottom. It used to be walled with lakes (or lochs in Scottish) at either end. At the summit of the volcanic mountain is the Edinburgh palace where the Scottish Crown jewels are now housed. I had the chance to spend the morning there, and it was incredible. The palace is guarded by the Scottish military in full Scottish kilt atire, you can be assured I took lots of pictures of them. Speaking of Kilts, I'll be bringing back a little surprise with me to the States that I can only really get in Scotland. And believe me I look pretty good in this surprise.
The city has a very old feel, more so than London; almost as if time as stopped for awhile. I've got plenty more stories to share, but I'll save those for when I can illustrate them with pictures. Tomorrow morning we head to York for another day of fun and excursion until Saturday afternoon. By then, I should have tons of pictures to share.

1 comment:

Camille said...

how many more times do I have to say, THAT IS SO AWESOME...JEALOUS MUCH! I am sounding like a broken record. Can't wait to see the pictures, come back with an awesome scottish accent!