Friday, May 9, 2008

kew and a little football


Part of our time in London includes a occasional trips outside of the tourist zone to obscure places like Kew Gardens in Southwest London. It a large area of Botanical Gardens with a few greenhouses and a former palace. Most of the group went and we spent the morning there, walking around and talking. Those of us in the drawing class took some time to do some quick sketches of some statues in the palace gardens.
Later on after dinner, a group of us decided to play a little football in Kensington Gardens to pass the time. We picked out a great set of parkland, divided up into teams and had a blast for the next hour and a half. We must have been quite a site; a bunch of Americans stumbling over each other while chasing a ball. I have absolutely no skill in my feet, and I resign myself to playing defense. Afterwards I grabbed two of my fellow students for a quick jog around the park. I was pumped full of energy and it seemed like the right thing to do. We passed the Prince Albert Memorial as well as the Royal Albert Concert Hall, both spectacular buildings. After a little bit I was completely out of breath and we headed home. Tomorrow we are planning on attending a concert at St. Martin in the Fields near Trafalgar Square, and I have three more hours of drawing to do before midnight.

No comments: