Monday, May 26, 2008

another long break


Wow, its been a tough week for blogs, hasn't it? There isn't too much to add from the previous days. I spent most of Saturday hanging out at the Portobello Road Market in Notting Hill. You all are familiar with Portobello Road, right? "Anything and everything a chap can unload, is sold off the barrow in Portobello Road". The market is massive, and stretches through many city blocks. It is packed with tourists and the goods are overpriced, but otherwise it is great for the atmosphere. Sunday was a gray, rainy day as was today. I spent the morning walking around Buckingham Palace and the parks in the area. Today was rather quiet. I had class for most of the day and then this evening we went as a group to watch a performance of Shakespeare's A Midsummer's Night Dream in the restored Globe Theatre. The theatre is open air and in the form of a circle, with seats along the walls and a space in the middle for people to stand up right against the stage, called the groundlings. The stage itself sticks out further than a modern stage does, allowing the groundlings to be literally at the feet of the actors. It was probably one of my favorite experiences so far. I learned to appreciate Shakespeare this last semester, and it was fun to actually see it come to life in the same sort of setting as back in his time.
I promise that the next few days will bring more exciting posts. Tomorrow I'll spend at the British library drawing. Wednesday we head on a day trip to Cambridge and in the evening some of us will be watching England play the U.S. in football at Wembley Stadium, and on Thursday evening I fly out to Dublin.

1 comment:

sinistersantiago said...

I just finished watching this game on my tivo and didn't know you were in the stands. wish i could have been there! -robert fewkes