Tuesday, June 10, 2008

a little hairspray, and a swim


I hopped on the tube (hopped is the correct word, sometimes you have to jump from the tracks to make it before the doors shut) early this morning at about 8:30. I've been swimming whenever I get a chance to. My day goes a lot better when I get a few laps in, and I mingle a bit with the local swim talent. There are two pools, one indoors that is mostly used for school groups and another outside. Most of my fellow swimmers are old duffers in speedos, or older women out for a leisurely lap or two. They are all pretty polite and will let you pass if you are faster. I'm thinking I should go back to my speedo days from the swim team just so I can fit in a little more. It has been great weather in London, so I swam under the blue sky for the morning and headed back to the center for the afternoon.
Across the street from the pool is the Shaftesbury Theatre which last year was the home for the musical Rent, and now hosts the West End production of Hairspray. A group of us went to see it on Monday evening and I can say that I really enjoyed it, once you get past the dude in drag playing Tracy's mom. I was surprised that they were even able to fake decent American accents. I have to say that it was probably the best show I've since I've been here, and I would recommend it to anyone.
After swimming I went on one of our scheduled walks to the Mayfair area of London, south of the shopping district of Oxford street. This area is home to some of the priciest stores like Cartier and Chanel, and there are Bentleys up the wazoo.
From there I walked towards Palace Court via Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens. As soon as the sun peaks out from behind the clouds for longer than an hour, all of London heads to the parks for some sun. Part of my walk took me past the Serpentine Lake with boat peddlers, ducks, and kids diving in and out. The next warm day we have I'll be joining them. Tonight we have a meeting with Bro. Chittok, a local member who remembers the Blitz of WWII, and tomorrow we spend the day at Oxford and Blenheim Palace.

1 comment:

Camille said...

You say every play is your favorite, looks like it just keeps getting better and better! It is blistering.. blazing... bloody... hot here! Is bloody a bad word in England????....I claim ignorance if so!
Love you.