Tuesday, June 17, 2008

camden, st. paul's and a little more football


It has been a packed last few days. On Monday I finished my English class with a final in the morning, and I finished drawing today with a presentation of my final project. So the weekend was pretty stressful, getting ready to wrap up the program. In between studying, we still managed to get some fun stuff done. Yesterday we spent the afternoon in Camden Town in north London. It's famous for being a counter-cultureish hotspot, which also served up cheap Asian food for lunch. Naturally, we went the lunch. The food market is combined with the clothing market, which sells mostly vintage stuff and some clubwear. The food vendors are housed in stalls, and as you pass them they hold out free samples and compliment you in their limited English. The signs say the food is Indonesian, or Thai but every vendor had the same stuff, hence the word asian food. Granted, it was really cheap and filling and we were even given free drinks. I've never haggled over food before, but in Camden anything goes. The area around the food market is a maze of clothes and various tobacco smoking products. What is pretty cool is that a lot of the store fronts have these 3D signs in front.
From Camden it was a short bus ride to Swiss Cottage, also in North London. We stopped at Abbey Road studios for a gander and so we could recreate the iconic Beatles album cover. The crosswalk is still a crosswalk today, so it was tough to get the same shot. I'm not a Beatles fan so I gave up and settled for a picture in the crosswalk.
Today my buddy James and I spent the afternoon walking the legal area of London towards St. Paul's Cathedral. The inside is incredible, much more so than Westminster Abbey is. There are stairs that you take to the top of the dome for an awesome view of London. Then in the evening we had a goodbye social as a group, and tomorrow people will start to leave the centre.
Tomorrow will be my last time blogging as a student at the BYU London Centre, before I pick up my parents at Heathrow in the afternoon. Then I will only be blogging as an unshaved party animal.

2 comments:

Camille said...

So funny...love the party animal bit, although I don't know if mom and dad will be much of partyers....they should have taken me along for benefit for you, so that you don't have to go to bed at 8:00 with them!:)Have fun...jealous......I think maybe just maybe you might be the favorite???!!!Lucky boy.:)

Camille said...

P.S
I like your hair short que handsome!

P.P.S Who is the random chick in the cross walk picture?? did you ask her to be in your picture for dramatic effect???A little glimpse of London folk?:) ha ha